Pyohex shampoo and conditioner are for the treatment of bacterial (Staphylococcal) skin infections in dogs. Bacterial skin infections on dogs can have a wide variety of symptoms or appearances and causes.
Common appearances of bacterial infections:
- Circular rings of scale or redness (as larger pimples pop and leave ‘rings’ of skin damage)
- Moist areas of skin commonly referred to as hotspots
Reasons for bacterial skin infections:
Sometimes there is just bad luck involved, although the majority of cases of skin infections in dogs can be tracked to underlying conditions which allow the low numbers of normal bacterial residents to overgrow and cause disease.
Underlying causes for bacterial infections:
- Allergy, pollen, grass, food (meats), fleas
- Hormonal problems (including Cushing’s disease and thyroid problems)
- Parasitic infestations such as demodex mites or Scabies.
Pyohex shampoo and conditioner have the great benefit over creams and lotions in that they can be applied all over, regardless of the amount of fur coverage.
- The shampoo should be applied to a wet coat and lathered up.
- Leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
- Distract the dog from licking during this period. Ingestion of foam can upset their stomach.
- After rinsing allow the dog to shake excess water from its coat and then rub the conditioner through the coat whilst still damp. This can be achieved by applying a small amount to your hands, lightly rubbing your hands together and then dabbing your hands over your dog’s coat. After the conditioner is roughly distributed give your dog a good rub to evenly distribute it throughout the coat.
How often should I use Pyohex Medicated Shampoo & Conditioner?
During periods of active infection the shampoo and conditioner should be used twice per week. Once the infection has resolved, bathing once per week or fortnight is often enough to prevent recurrences. The time of year may influence the frequency of bathing - during spring and summer, dogs who suffer bad allergies may find they require more frequent bathing then they do in winter when their allergies are not as active.
Active ingredient: 30g/L Chlorhexidine gluconate
- Ensure your dog is thoroughly wet before applying Pyohex Medicated Shampoo as this will make lathering and spreading it easier.
- Use a wet sponge to help to ensure the coat is wet and the Pyohex Medicated Shampoo lathers and spreads well.
- Allow the full 10 minutes contact time for the Pyohex Medicated Shampoo as this will allow optimal efficacy.
Must Leave On for 10 Minutes then Rinse.
Posted by JoJo & Mylo on 18th Mar 2017
Our GSD was always itching after running through dirt even after all his washes with Aloveen Oatmeal Shampoo & Conditioner. Our Vet recommended we use Pyohex Conditioner which had only minimal non-lasting effects so I included a wash with the Pyohex Shampoo which stopped 95% of his itch. The trick is to leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing and we use Cetaphil Bath Oil as an additional rinse to prevent dry itchy skin. Then we apply Aloveen Oatmeal conditioner. Wouldn't be without this stuff now. Mylo has all but stopped scratching.