Malaseb Medicated Dog Shampoo
Malaseb is registered to treat Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Dermatophytosis. Seborrhoeic Dermatitis is the scientific name for a skin infection involving bacteria (Staphylococcus) and yeast (Malassezia). Dermatophytosis is the scientific name for ringworm, a condition which is not due to worms (like the name suggests) but is in fact a fungal infection.
It is normal in dogs to have low numbers of resident bacteria and yeasts on the skins surface. When there is a disruption to the skin’s natural ecosystem these bacteria and yeasts can overgrow causing disease and this is when you should treat your pup with Malaseb Medicated Dog Shampoo.
Reasons for disruption to the natural balance:
- Allergy, including to pollens, grasses, foods (meats) and fleas
- Parasites, such as fleas, mites and lice
- Hormonal problems
- Conformational problems such as deep skin folds, making sweaty crevices
How does Malaseb dog shampoo help?
- Kills the micro-organisms, helping to keep the numbers of yeasts and bacteria at manageable levels
- Removes excess scale and oils, commonly produced when the skin is infected
- Removes allergens such as pollens which can be caught in fur or on skin causing irritation
Dermatophytosis or Ringworm
Ringworm is the most common fungal condition in cats, however it is also a well recognised problem in dogs and horses.
Malaseb will help to sterilise the coat of ringworm spores, helping to speed recovery and prevent spread of the disease.
Ringworm in cats is a systemic disease which means that although you may only see a few spots the cat is actually covered in ringworm infection and thus all over Malaseb cat shampoo treatment is needed. Malaseb can be used alone or in combination with systemic medication (usually anti-fungal tablets) to treat ringworm.
Combination therapy results in a faster cure than either alone. Malaseb should be used twice weekly during ringworm treatment. It is important if you have young children or immune-compromised adults in the same household as an infected cat that you discuss this with your veterinarian or doctor. Ringworm can have serious consequences for those without a good immune system.
How often should I apply Malaseb Medicated Dog Shampoo?
In the case of seborrhoeic dermatitis, Malaseb should be used twice weekly when the infection is active. You may be able to reduce the frequency of bathing to once per week or fortnight once the infection is under control. In most circumstances long term therapy is needed as curing the cause of the imbalance is not always possible.
In the case of ringworm, twice weekly bathing is recommended to clean the coat of spores and infection. Therapy is typically needed for 8 to 12 weeks.
- Leave the shampoo on for the full 10 minutes wherever possible.
- Always make sure the coat is thoroughly wet before applying Malaseb, this will make lathering and spreading easier.
- Using a sponge can help to spread the shampoo well. The sponge also holds water which again helps to ensure the coat is adequately wet during application.
- A damp cloth, with a little diluted foam can be used to clean the face of both cats and dogs.
- Whilst bathing cats is never easy, many will tolerate water better if it is not running. Using a 3 bucket technique, where all buckets are filled with warm water can help. The cat is dunked (not including head) into the first bucket and the medicated cat shampoo is applied, then wrapped in a towel for the 10 minutes to stay warm and prevent licking foam. Once the 10 minutes is up the cat is sequentially dunked into the first, then second then remaining buckets to rinse the coat.
What about conditioner?
In the case of seborrhoeic dermatitis in dogs it is recommended that after shampooing your dog or puppy with Malaseb, Pyohex leave on conditioner be applied. This will help to achieve both the benefits of moisturising with higher antiseptic levels on the skin and coat along with an extended duration of activity.
Work with passion
Over the past decade, Australian Pet Treat Company has become one of Australia’s most trusted and convenient online destinations for pet owners. We pride ourselves on maintaining exceptional customer service and measure our success by the satisfaction and happiness of the people and pets we serve.
Our promise to you
At Australian Pet Treat Company, we are dog and cat treat specialists. We have everything you need for your pet at awesome prices, every day. We are constantly adding more brands and products weekly, all of which are available to you from the comfort of your own home.
Bone-A-Fide Vanilla & Jasmine 2 in 1 Conditioning Dog Shampoo 450ml Clean Dog Bone-A-Fide 2 in 1 Conditioning Dog Shampoo offers the convenience of a shampoo and conditioner in one easy step. Enriched with Vitamin B5 which helps both skin and coat health and shine and contains Natural Botanical Extract of Horsetail which helps provide astringent and anti-irritant effects to…
Bone-A-Fide Cool Citrus 2 in 1 Conditioning Dog Shampoo 450ml Clean Dog Bone-A-Fide 2 in 1 Conditioning Dog Shampoo offers the convenience of a shampoo and conditioner in one easy step. Enriched with?extract of Calendula?which helps provide cleansing detoxifying anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties,?while nourishing the skin and leaving your dog with a soft manageable coat. Work with passion…
Rapigel Rapigel is a muscle and joint relieving gel. Analgesic & counter irritant, with a “cooling effect”. Useful for skin soreness, joint pain, muscular soreness and stiffness, bruising. Active Constituents Menthol, Camphor and Iso-propyl Alcohol in a gel base. Directions For Use Rapigel should be rubbed into affected area at full strength before and after work out. The effect can…
Bone-A-Fide Papaya & Passionfruit 2 in 1 Conditioning Dog Shampoo 450ml Clean Dog Bone-A-Fide 2 in 1 Conditioning Dog Shampoo offers the convenience of a shampoo and conditioner in one easy step. Enriched with Vitamin B5 which helps both skin and coat health and shine and contains Natural Botanical Extract of Nettle which helps provide softening, anti-inflammatory, anti-itching, astringent and…